Sunday, October 21, 2012

151-M

151-M:

  • This is a Pokemon map. The image on the left is all 151 Pokemon from the first generation and the image on the right is all the maps of the Pokemon world. I chose to use Pokemon as my theme because, to this day, I still love it. It's what I grew up on and yet I still enjoy playing it every day. 
  • To create the image, I appropriated all the images of the Pokemon and maps from an online forum. I imported the images into Photoshop and then changed the opacity, fill, and gradients to produce a piece that I found aesthetically pleasing. I violated no copyright laws because the images I used were produced under Free -Use already. I also modded each image beyond recognition.
  • To me, my piece is happy and fun. Others may interpret it as dark or mysterious because it has no obvious meaning and the colors are dark and ominous. The title is 151-M (151 for the number of Pokemon I used and M for the maps i appropriated and for the assignment title).
  • I would have liked to do more with it, but struggled with concepts and with  time.

Dedicated to Ash Ketchum:

ASH

On trading cards and TV shows,
He meant so much to me.
He’d grab his elements and go -
of fire, earth, and sea.

It seemed it was his destiny,
to find them in the grass.
Team Rocket was his enemy.
He always beat their ass.

His sidekick was a Pikachu.
They never were apart.
They’d roam until the day was through,
adventures from the start.

Collecting badges was his gig.
He always passed the test.
A hero to us nineties kids,
our generation’s best.

2 comments:

  1. Really spiffy. Love the way it turned out - very painterly and the ghost-like grey part of the pokemon overlay almost looks like some sort of brush strokes - and the concept was awesome. I pretty much always really like your stuff. A++

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on this piece, Tony. It is interesting that the source images were “cartoony” line drawings, but when combined in this way, they become ghostly abstractions. I enjoyed reading your poem in relation to the work too.

    ReplyDelete